Wednesday 5 October 2011

Reflection and perfection

I try on purpose not to keep busy. I think its important to have some quiet time to come to terms with what happened and figure out how I really feel. Wessel and I are going away for a week or so on Friday.  I'm looking forward to it.

Thinking back on the last 2 months, it is overwhelming to see and realise how evident God's hand was in all that happened. In my whole life I could not fathom that God can be glorified by someone's death, let alone that of a baby. Even before she died I could see how maybe God's plan would be evident even if she died, but I tried to deny it. I see how He kept Tabitha alive just for us, so that we can grow and become instruments in His hand and be part of His plan. He also kept her alive so that we can get to know her and enjoy her and be prepared for what was to happen. I remember how extremely excited I was for Tabitha's coming. The morning before she was born when the abdomen pain was so unbearable, I thought I just wanted to lie down and die. But then I remembered her, and quickly changed my mind. The anticipation of the baby girl in my tummy was far too exciting!

The truth is, what happened that day of her birth was so terrible that she didn't have much of a chance. Every day on her form, next to diagnosis, the nurse would write: Birth asphyxia. And then later: Birth asphyxia, IVH (intra ventricular haemorrhage) AND hydrocephalus. Big words for such a small little body. We didn't know it then, but the hypoxia (cellular damage that occurs within the central nervous system due to lack of oxygen) was so severe that the fact that she survived for 53 days is a miracle in itself.

Throughout this time I was not prepared to let go of her. I did not want to pray the prayer 'Here is my child Lord, do what you want'. We all believed she would somehow pull through. The thought of loosing her scared me, and just thinking about it made me feel guilty. How could a mother? The day before her death was sufficient for God to prepare my heart. I'm not sure how it happened, but I know that I had peace even after the dreaded phone call when I knew it was the end.

Sometimes it felt that God did not answer my prayers. But when I look back I can see a little bit of His miraculous plan, and how He answered every single one of our prayers. Even prayers I prayed before she was born. Except when I said I wanted a healthy girl. I believe that He is still going to answer that one, I was just shortsighted to believe that it would be Tabitha. If ever I doubted God, I know now more than ever – God does not disappoint. 

Don't make God out to be someone you want him to be. Don't trust your feelings, your education or even your experiences to determine who God is. Don't trust other people's opinions, not even Oprah or the Pope. Don't read books that can give nice, but distorted ideas of God. Don't trust your goosebumps. Don't believe that God is different for different people, or that all religions ultimately lead to the same God. Don't believe that you are a little god. And don't look for God within yourself. If you do you'll be disappointed. 

God reveals Himself perfectly in His Word, and through His Son, Jesus, who is the Word made flesh. 

You may think its a book written by man. It was. Nevertheless, it is perfect in every way, because it was inspired by God and part of His perfect plan. No other book covers all the topics. No other book is so timeless. It will sustain you in every circumstance. Somehow it answers everything we need to know about God, even to this day. But only for those that have ears to hear and eyes to see. The most intellectual sometimes don't fall in this group. But those that seek, shall find.

Don't you also find it mind boggling and absolutely amazing? 

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. (Deut 31:6)

4 comments:

  1. The raw honesty and truth that you write here Adele, is so powerful. Thank you for entrusting us to these intimate struggles and victories within your soul. Your truth is testimony to how you have kept your heart and eyes on the One True God and He will lift you up, as He has promised that those who pursue righteousness (right standing with God) will be lifted up and will experience TRUE LIFE - not the life where everything goes well and according to plan, but one that exhibits praise and that indescribable peace in ALL situations. You are so young and yet you exhibit such great Wisdom which is only gained by sitting at His feet and in His Word. You truly are an inspiration to my Faith. May our God who knows every hope, thought and dream bless you abundantly and beyond your wildest imaginations. Thank you, once again for your honesty in writing this blog - just amazing!!! I am sure the hospital staff and doctors will miss your grace and peace. We know that Tabitha is in a much better place free from fear, pain and suffering although so hard for those of us left behind. I once heard a description of our heart as the "centre of our reflection" and my heart is bursting for you in so many ways tonight - difficult to describe, but God knows, He cares and He loves you.

    Thank you, again
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Adele,
    Ek gaan maar in Afr skryf, engels nie so goed nie! :-) Ek wil net se Prys die Here vir die manier wat hy julle deur die proses gedra het. Ek kan myself nie indink hoe seer dit moet wees waardeur julle gaan nie. En al die vrae wat jul moet he. Maar ek kan net lees hoe God julle op 'n ongelooflike pad het en met julle mee stap. Julle dogtertjie het alreeds so baie mense aangeraak, en ek dink haar storie en julle getuienis gaan nog baie beteken vir Sy glorie en Sy konkinkryk.
    Ek het paar jaar terug gelees van 'n paartjie in Amerika wat deur amper dieselfde is. Sy en haar Ma het 'n boek geskryf oor Molly se kort lewe op aarde en wat hulle van God geleer het. As jy dalk eendag voel dis tyd dink ek sal dit baie goed wees vir jou om te lees.
    Hier is die skakel daarna:http://www.shopfamilylife.com/symphony-in-the-dark.html
    Family Life is in SA ook en ek is seker jy kan die boek deur hulle bestel. Dit is die familie bediening van Campus Crusade for Christ.
    BAIE sterkte vir julle almal, ek sal bid dat God jou sal aanhou vertroos in die moeilik tyd. Jy het my aangeraak en bemoedig deur jou woorde en gedagtes.
    Marli

    ReplyDelete
  3. As jy sou belangstel hier is Rebeccah se blog. Ek dink die storie van Molly is rondom Junie 2008 op haar blogroll.
    www.rebeccacooks.blogspot.com
    Sterkte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Marinette Schoeman. My first baby boy, Corne, was still born on 6 February 2010 at 32 weeks due to gastational diabetes and pre-eclapsia. On 20 November 2011 our second boy, Henroux, was born at 32 weeks and weighed 1.43kg. He was under stress because of my high BP and had to be born right away. He died two days later. Adele, my email address is p.schoeman1@absamail.co.za. I felt the need to talk to you after I read your article in Huisgenoot. Please email me if you feel up to it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete