Sunday 2 October 2011

Memorial memories


Yesterday we said goodbye to our darling Tabitha. Until we meet again! 

We were all very emotional, and touched when we saw how beautiful everything looked. Her body was contained in a little Moses basket in the front of the church building. Even though the last two months was a period of trial and testing, we have fond memories of our girl and are thankful for the short time we had with her. It was a blessing to see so many of our friends and family there. But to all who wanted to be there but couldn't make it, I will post some photos here so you can also feel part of this special occasion. I actually wish we had taken more photos with everyone there, but I guess posing for pictures was the last thing on everyone's mind.

Doug Cochrane, our Bible Study leader and wonderful friend, conducted the sermon. I will post the sermon soon so that everyone can be blessed by it the way we were blessed by it. We listened to the song 'The Steadfast Love' that I used to sing to Tabitha, and that greatly encouraged me throughout this time. I will miss singing it to her. 

Everyone put rose petals on her little basket. It was the end of Tabitha's short visit to earth. All we have left now, are photos, a few short videos, and some items that remind us of a little girl, whom we once could hold in our arms. When she cried we wanted to comfort her. Now its our turn to cry and be comforted. 

But our tears are not forever and our sadness will not last. His mercies are new every morning. Our winter is over, spring is on the horizon. We are already so blessed to see and hear so many stories of how Tabitha's life has impacted other people's lives. People close to us and people we don't know at all. Her life has also impacted our own lives. It has strengthened our marriage, it has strengthened our relationships with our families, it highlighted the fact that we have so many wonderful friends around us, we even made some new friends in the process. It also brought us into a fuller understanding and closer relationship with God. Ironically, the life and death of our child has highlighted God's goodness and mercy to us. I can't even explain it to anybody. His plans are so wonderfully complex and His wisdom and love abounds. We could never have imagined anything better in light of eternity. I know no friend or relationship can replace the life of your child, but its not supposed to. Nothing will replace Tabitha, not even 10 other children. We have a hope that is much greater than any earthly blessing. 

My dad, my sister Hilde, me, Wessel, my sister Minnette, my mom.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had had arms long enough to stretch all the way from Cape Town to give you big hug. I am so sorry to hear of Tabitha's passing. She was a real fighter. You and your husband and your baby girl have been such an inspiration. Your strength amazes me. Stay blessed...
    Jill (mom to Emma born at 27 weeks)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete