Sunday 11 December 2011

Dear Tabitha

Dear Tabitha,

I think about you all the time. I know you must be doing very well. I had a party yesterday and wished you could also be here. Everybody thinks your room is beautiful. I borrowed it to some of your friends who needed their nappies changed! 

Time is going by fast. You would have been four months now already. For you four months must seem like 4 seconds. Or 4 years. I wonder if you are growing up at the rate that kids here on earth grow up, or if you are waiting for us to meet you again one day as a baby? Either way I don't mind. The important part is that we'll see each other again one day. I'll hold you against my heart like I held your second cousin (I think that's what she is to you!) last night, no matter how old you are. 

Do you have lots of friends? Do you think about us? Do you also have parties and eat too much ice cream? I sometimes think about that second last day before you left us. I was holding you but you were uncomfortable, getting lots of bradys and desaturations. One of the nurses said that you are not enjoying this. I thought to myself, no, offcourse not. None of your life has been very enjoyable at all, but being held by your mother is probably one of the few things that you do enjoy. After that day things quickly went downhill, but I treasure the special times we had together, even though some people think you didn't enjoy it – I know you did. 

Daddy and I still talk about you and wonder what you would have looked like now. I wonder how differently I would have spent my days if you were still here. I am so busy with work and other things, but I would have put everything else aside if you were still here. Nothing that seems important now would have mattered to me. I want time to stop so I can sit and think about every moment with you so that it doesn't become a far distant faded memory. Stop or hurry up, one of the two. My impatience to fill your nursery again with a brother or sister makes me wish that time would hurry up. But we have to trust that in Christ's perfect timing. He was first patient with us.

Do you realise how much your life has taught us, and the impact it has had on many people? For one thing, I learnt what faith really is. Its not holding on to a hope for something that you wish for or want (believe me, I still wish that things could have been different). Its not wishful thinking. Its not mind over matter. Its not refusing to acknowledge or verbalise the facts. Its also not verbalising the wish or repeating a magic phrase. It's the peace that we have that our Father knows best and that His Word is true and that He is sovereign and therefore no matter what happens, we are safe. Faith is not something we do that can make any difference to the outcome. Faith is how much we understand the Bible and accept it. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Some things the Bible predicted have come true already, so in that sense we have an advantage above people like Abraham, Moses and Noah who had faith without seeing what we see. Other things we read about, we know will happen, because we have faith. Our hope is in Jesus and not in any earthly wish, need or want.

Daddy says that your joy is infinitely abundant, that we can never comprehend it. Knowing this makes my heart joyful too. Things about God and the Bible that we are still trying to figure out you must already understand. That must be wonderful! Knowing Jesus is wonderful, and you know Him fully now. The greatest dreams any parent can have for their child has already been answered for us. Just know we are proud of you my darling. You are an incomprehensible gift.

With love,
Mommy and Daddy.




8 comments:

  1. Dearest Adele, my heart goes out to you and Wessel! We too walked that long, hard road in NICU as our precious princess was born at 28 weeks and developed Necrotizing Enterocolitis. She spent 88 days in NICU.

    We struggled to "let go and let God" but eventually we did and we knew that God was in control and His will would prevail. The same verse came back to me time and time again: "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD".

    My friend, I sobbed whilst reading your article tonight and all those feelings came flooding back...the rollercoaster ride. One step forward and three steps back...those days where I was just too scared to bond with her, I didn't want to hold her - fear creeping in. Each time the phone rings, you jump up thinking that its them with bad news.

    Please keep in touch! I would love to chat sometime to see how you are doing!!

    My e-mail address is charmainebentz@gmail.com.

    Lots of love,

    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Mommy and Daddy

    I just finished reading the article in die You magazine and I cannot begin to tell you just how much my heart is aching for you.
    I pray that our Heavenly Father protects and gives you strengh through this very difficult time.
    Just know that little Tabitha was so very special to God that he took her early to be his most beatiful angel!

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    xoxo
    Marelize Bester

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Adele and Wessel, I too have read the article about Tabitha. Very sad and although I am not a mother and experienced all a mommy to be and new mommy experience, I felt every moment you wrote about in the article. You and Wessel are in my prayers and I truly pray God blesses both of you. May your journey ahead be a inspiration to all the other mothers to be, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Adele

    I read your article last night in teh You magazine, & i wept so badly, my heart was so sore & is still is. I am amazed by your strenght & courage but most of all your faith, you inspire me to trust this God we serve no matter what because he knows best.

    I have an eighteen month old baby girl & after reading the artice i went into her room bent down in her court and kissed with greatfulness in my heart for God giving her me, how we take it for granted what God has blessed us with.

    I know that you understand the mercy of the Father and i due season you will have a brother/sister for your little Tabitha.

    Keeping you in my prayers, continue to fight the good fight knowing that our reward is in heaven.

    Remember you are not alone

    Louann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! Really an amazing and very inspiring journey....very special and touching Praying for you!(although I do not know you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liewe Adele en Wessel.

    Ek het jul artikel in die Huisgenoot gelees en skryf sommer in Afrikaans.

    WOW! Dis asof ek ons verhaal van voor af beleef het!
    Ons seuntjie is amper 3 jaar terug op 33weke gebore en het 1.02kg geweeg. So klein maar so perfek, nes jy geskryf het. Elke wenkbrou, wimper en toonnaeltjie is daar.

    Hy het ook baie terugslae beleef en soveel pyn en leiding verduur, dat ek ook gebid het dat God hom eerder moet huistoe vat. En Hy het hom op 18 dae kom haal. Dis so verskriklik om hul so in pyn te sien, en jou hande is afgekap, jy kan hul nie eers vashou en vertroos met al die pype en buise nie, net hul koppie en handjies streel...

    Ek wil net se dat ek baie aan jul dink. Ek is seker dat Tabitha en Caiden (beteken klein vegtertjie) so gelukkig is in die hemel en op Jesus se skoot sit en afkyk op ons met bree glimlagte op hul engel gesiggies!

    Dis n lang pad om te stap, maar dit raak beter, veral as mens daaroor praat. Mag God jul seen met nog n baba, want enige kindjie sal so gelukkig wees om jul as ouers te he! En byt vas, God sal vir jul n pragtige, gesonde baba op die regte tyd gee. Sy tyd en ons s'n is nie dieselfde nie, soos almal weet.
    Ek was ook ongeduldig om weer swanger te raak, want jou hele liggaam, siel en verstand is reg vir n baba. Jou wond van die keiser is seer, jy het melk, dis asof jou liggaam smag na daardie baba, amper soos ontrekking simptome! Maar ongelukkig kan mens nie n baba in die winkel gaan koop om jou ontrekking te sus nie.

    Na amper 3 jaar voel ons die tyd is reg en probeer weer, want ons dogtertjie is al 5 en net so broeis soos mamma!

    Dis die ergste ding om jou dooie baba in jou arms te hou en jou trane loop op hul lewelose gesiggies af! Ek weet God het net voorspoed vir jul in die toekoms beplan! Ek bewonder julle, dat julle so sterk in geloof staan.
    In die begin was ek nogal kwaad vir God, maar Hy is immers die een wat alle wonde genees!

    Mag Hy julle seen met die mooiste van Sy seeninge! God is groot en goed.

    Baie liefde,
    Lize.

    ooslize@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adelee and Wessel,
    I just read your article now and tears were streaming down my cheecks. Almost 12 years agao i had a similar experiences where my eldest and first born dies in my arms in almost exactly the same way. He was born at 28 Weeks and we discovered that on the 5th day he had a Bowel infection, an operation had to be performed to see if the bowel could be save but that was in vain as the infection was too far spread. I sat outside Teater and felt the worst kind of pain and emptiness. I had any mums hardest task to have the machines removed from my baby boy Ridley, i held him in my arms and he died almost 3 hours later in my arms. The most painfull thing ever and still it feels like it was yesterday. This month the 27th he would've been 12 years old. Sad but life goes on. I hope that you could it in your heart to be strong and take it one day at a time. May God be with you always and forever. Rudine Carelse, Cape Town, rudine.carelse@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adele my hart gaan uit na julle. Ek voel vir jul baie jammer. Ek was geseend om na 12 jaar op die ouderdom van 39 weer swanger te raak na ek bly glo het dit sal gebeur. Nooit het ek God bevraag teken hoekom ons 7 jaar moes wag vir ons 1ste en toe weer 12 jaar. Ek was gelukkig om n goeie dokter te he wat vroeg preeklampsie by my opgetel het. Ek is aangese om vas te byt tot op 32 weke dan is die baba se kans op oorlewing soveel beter. Maar in tussen het ek n reeks inspuitings gekry om die baba se longe te help versterk sou ek vroer in kraam gaan. Ek is op 34/35 weke opgeneem wees hoe bloedruk en die baba is op 37 weke gebore. Alri kon ni haar eie tempratuur behou nie en is later vir my gegee om te kyk of dit sal help, en ja dit het. Vandagklou sy aan my soos gom en dis vir my lekker om te voel hoe lief sy my het. Dis wonderlik om te weet wonderwerke gebeur en dat ons 2 wonderwerke het is net te danke aan Ons Hemelse Vader. Wees sterk ek glo wanneer jul wonderwerk kom jul die beste ouers sal wees. Liefde Riaana
    Groblersdal

    ReplyDelete