Monday 7 November 2011

My favourite room

I thought I'll post some pictures of Tabitha's room, since it is my favourite room in the house. When she was born we hardly had anything ready, except a few loose items and ideas in my head. As the furniture arrived things started to take more shape. There were times while she was in hospital when I was so sure she was going to come home so I continued to get everything ready. I remember the weekend before she died, I still packed out the chest of drawers and showed my mother in law all her little outfits. I couldn't wait for her to wear everything. After she died there were still a few elements missing, like the wall decor I had ordered online. Nevertheless, I decided to finish it off the way it was planned. You might think its sad but its not necessarily a sad place for me. I know one of these days we'll get the chance to use it the way it should be used. In the meantime I want to remember her and having all her items together in one room helps me do that. Obviously most of the items she never got a chance to use. But there is also a little white box with items from the hospital, like hair locks we cut off after she died, her socks, hats, her little blood pressure band, dummies and the prem nappies she used to wear. The top drawer also has some of the blankies she used, including her weighted blanket (it helped keep her calm when she was jittery), unwashed. 

There are two pillows in the room that I made, the one is pieced together from scraps of material, and the other one has a heart out of crocheted roses, with the words 'grace and beauty'. That is what Tabitha means. I made them before she was born.


Next to the dandelion above her cot is a ceramic plate with her foot prints, made by the nurses on the day of her death. It is a beautiful memory. It has her name and her date of birth and date of death. The nurse brought it to me the other day while I was having coffee with my friend, Sebastian's mother. It is so special! I also went up to say hello to some of the other nurses and I got to see beautiful little Sebastian as well.

I said the other day that people don't know how to handle death. I must include myself in that statement. Sometimes I find myself saying the stupidist things. I said that I like to talk about Tabitha, but the other day I saw someone and she said she heard I had a baby. I said yes. She said is it a boy or a girl? So I said its a girl...(pause) but she died. Full stop. The poor woman didn't know what to say and I didn't elaborate. I was so blunt. Maybe I thought she must've heard by now or I don't know but the fact is she didn't know. 

I like it when people say that they're sorry to hear, even if they might think that there are no words that can make me feel better. Its nice to know that people care or that they took notice that there was a little girl named Tabitha, and she mattered. But then I find myself saying more stupid things like 'yes it was tough but its over now'. WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING? It's not over! She may not be here anymore but I miss her every day and I wish that she could also be healthy like all the other healthy kids I see around me every day and that I can hold her one more time! I don't think its over until that glorious day arrives when I will see her again. I find myself getting emotional when I sing songs in church about that day. Don't get me wrong, I have made peace with everything that happened but I am still human and I still miss my baby girl. 

When I look around me there are so many bad and sad things happening in people's lives. My prayer list has never been this long. I believe that God is using it to tell us to WAKE UP and stop wasting our lives on meaningless petty little things that has no value for our souls and for other people's souls. Its so easy to stay busy doing things that might seem important to us, but in the bigger scope of things they mean nothing. Many people might not understand it, and it might seem cruel to some, but God cares more for our souls than what he cares about our comfort and happiness on earth. Jesus said in Matthew 16:24

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?  For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done."

I believe God will even push you to your limits if that is what it takes to learn to trust Him with all your heart. It's not about how strong we are or how much we can handle. Its about being made strong when we are at our weakest. Like Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12:10 - For when I am weak, then I am strong. Therefore we can be thankful in all circumstances because God is using it to our benefit. Isn't that great to know? 

So here is an update from a part of my prayer list...
Gerhard, my brother in law. He's shown such great improvement the last few days after his motorbike accident two weeks ago. He was moved out of ICU last week Thursday and is on his way home tonight! We thank God for his speedy recovery! Pray with us that he will continue to get stronger and that all the pain meds won't mess him up too much! Apparently those rib breaks are the worst...

Sebastian, Tabitha's ex NICU neighbour. He has had his 4 month birthday this week and has been through so much during this time. He had a feeding tube operation on Friday to help him with his feeds because he struggles to learn how to suck. He doesn't like anaesthetics much so this whole weekend was a bit rough for him and his mother. He went for an MRI scan this afternoon to check how his brain is doing. Doctors expect him to be disabled. We don't know what's going to happen but his mother and I are trusting God because He is in control! And miracles can still happen!

And then another friend of mine ended up in hospital on her 30th birthday last week. Her body is showing weird symptoms and the doctors are still doing tests in order to make a diagnosis. She obviously doesn't know what to expect so having to wait makes it even more difficult.
If you want you can pray with me for these people and their families! They will appreciate it very much!


 

7 comments:

  1. Tabitha se kamer is pragtig Adelie:) Dink nog gereeld aan haar en aan jou x

    Ekt vanoggend in my bybelstudie ook Matthew 16 gelees. Eks mal daar oor as mens dit dan weer hoor iewers. Die Here praat soms so hard en duidelik:)

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liewe Adele,

    Ek is deur n vriendin verwys na jou blog deels omdat ek en my man ook die jaar n jaar van "grief" beleef het en nogsteeds beleef... Ek sien so baie van my eie proses en gevoelens en gemengde gevoelens en geloofsoortuigings in jou blog. Dis wonderlik, want ek dink die proses van normalisering in "grief" is so nodig...net om te sien mens se gevoelens en emosies is normaal en nie patologies nie, en dat almal wat "grief" baie dieselfde prosesse moet deurwerk. Ek weet nie hoe voel jy oor C.S Lewis nie, maar ek lees nog altyd graag sy boeke, en het nogal baie baat gevind by sy boek, A Grief Observed. Ek kon baie "relate" met sy persoonlike worsteling en ervaring van die rouproses. Ek haal vir jou 'n paar stukkies aan hieronder:

    "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing.
    At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take in what anyone says. Or perhaps, hard to want to take it in. It is so uninteresting. Yet I want the others to be about me. I dread the moments when the house is empty. If only they would talk to one another and not to me.
    There are moments, most unexpectedly, when something inside me tries to assure me that I don't really mind so much, not so very much, after all. Love is not the whole of a man's life. I was happy before I ever met H. I've plenty of what are called 'resources'. People get over these things. Come, I shan't do so badly. One is ashamed to listen to this voice but it seems for a little to be making out a good case. Then comes a sudden jab of red-hot memory and all this 'commonsense' vanishes like an ant in the mouth of a furnace ..."

    “I thought I could describe a state; make a map of sorrow. Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process. It needs not a map but a history…there is something new to be chronicled every day. Grief is like a long valley, a winding valley where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape…not every bend does. Sometimes the surprise is the opposite one; you are presented with exactly the same sort of country you thought you had left behind miles ago. That is when you wonder whether the valley isn’t a circular trench. But it isn’t. There are partial recurrences, but the sequence doesn’t repeat.” 

    “God has not been trying an experiment on my faith or love in order to find their quality. He knew it already. It was I who didn’t.” 

    C. S. Lewis

    Baie dankie vir jou blog. Ek kan reeds sien hoe die Here vir jou en Tabitha in my lewe gebruik en ek weet dis maar een van vele gevalle. Dit maak dit natuurlik nie makliker vir jou nie, en weet asb my gebede is met jou en Wessel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,I am new to the blogging thing and hope I am posting this comment in the right place. Firstly I would like to say I am so sorry for your loss. I read the story in the YOU magazine just a few minutes ago and immediately looked up your blog. You are so inspiring and I Love your optimism!

    I had a miscarriage 3 Months ago, I was 11 weeks pregnant and will never forget the joy I felt when I heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time. Reading your story and your blog really has made me look at things in a different way and understand more that things do happen for a reason. I know my story is not the same as yours but I somehow feel relieved after reading your story.... I dont feel so alone with the way i feel anymore... (this is the first time that I have mentioned my miscarriage or spoken/typed about it)

    I had this idea in my head that if I just try and forget and make as if it never happened then I’ll be sure I will be fine, but life does not work like that. I still have all my sonars and doctors letter's that I had hidden underneath my clothes but recently took them out and just took a few minutes to think and have another look. I felt more at ease after that and found that making as if it didn’t happen…just makes it worse. That was my precious baby and that is all I have to hold onto.

    God truely is the way and throughout this whole experience it has brought me closer to Him. Reading your story in the YOU just made me realize that He is always with us, You have motivated me so much and made me feel positive again.

    Thank You so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adele ek wil net vir jou en jou wederhelf en julle hele familie se hoe jammer ek voel oor julle verlies. Wat vir my blydend is, is jou verhouding met God en dit skemer baie sterk deur. Weet net God sal NOOIT vir jou n pakkie gee om te dra wat vir jou te swaar is; inteendeel Hy dra self daardie pakkie.
    Ek het n soorgelyke ondervinding met my tweede baba, n seun, gehad in 1977. Anders as jy het ek in opstand gekom teen God, maar God het nooit teen my in opstnd gekom nie, en toe ek besef dat ek verkeerd was het Hy my met ope arms terugverwelkom en alles vergewe; wat n wonderbaarlike liefde. Ek het geleer dat, alhoewel jy as ouer nooit die kind sal vergeet, God se planne op die ou end altyd die beste is; Hy weet wat is goed vir ons en wat nie, so troos jou in Sy Groot Liefde.
    Weet net ek bid vir julle.
    Groete
    Sharon
    Klerksdorp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ons liefling kleinkind, Jayden is gebore op 22-07-2011 en is spekvet en gesond, ons is so dankbaar !!! Ons geniet hom elke dag en dank die Here vir die engeltjie.

    Ai ons is so bitter jammer oor julle engeltjie, ons weet nie hoe julle moet voel nie, want ons is nog nie daardeur nie. Maar ek kan my net naastenby indink, ons is so jammer oor julle verlies !!!

    Leon van Windhoek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ek wens ek kan julle beter laat voel. Ekt n ses maande oue seuntjie en ek wardeur julle storie so so so baie. Baie dankie dat julle dit gedeel het met ons.

    Eks seker julle pragtige engel prinsessie is die heel mooiste engeltjie in die hemel. 'There were you saw only one row of footprints on the sand is not where I left you but where I carried you'.... Ek bid dat Jesus elke dag saam met julle sal wees deur die moeilike tyd en ek weet Hy is altyd by julle, al voel dit nie elke dag so nie. Ek het regtig nie woorde wat julle beter sal laat voel nie maar ek weet tyd sal dit so bietjie beter maak, 'Time heals all wounds, but scars never fade'

    Ek weet niks sal die lee kamer vol maak of julle seer en pyn wegvat nie, maar ons almal kan net probeer om te help al is dit net n klein bietjie, en eendag gaan julle haar wangetjies weer soen, en eks seker syt geweet hoe lief jul haar het en steeds het.

    Eks so jammer oor julle verlies, regtig ek weet nie hoe dit voel nie want dit is so onmenslik, mens kan dit amper nie indink nie. Ek weet sommer die Here sal julle seen met boetties en sussies vir klein Tabitha, al sal niks en niemand die ou engeltjie kind kan vervang nie. Weet net Jesus het haar nodig gehad in die hemel as sy HEEL MOOISTE . Haar kamer is so so mooi en sy is gelukkig om julle as haar ouers te kon he, en julle is geseen met so mooi dogtertjie.

    Die lewe is gladnie regverdig nie, ek stem saam. Soms moet mens maar aanvaar waarheen Jesus mens stuur, al is dit nie altyd lekker nie. Hy weet wat is die beste vir haar, dink sys so happy daar waar sy nou is, en dat sy opgewonde wag vir haar mamma en pappa. Die dood is so erg...veral as mens n kind verloor, maar weet net klein Tabitha het ons almal sooo inspireer en sy was so klein maar tog n vegtertjie,julle moet baie trots wees op haar.

    Mens wil so graag al daardie pyn en leiding deurgaan vir hulle onthalwe, maar mens kan niks doen behalwe om hulle net lief te he en te ondersteun nie. Ek dink aan julle en mag Jesus julle styf styf vashou en vertoos, dit kan nie maklik wees nie. Weereens dankie dat julle hierdie wonderlike maar baie hartseer storie met ons gedeel het want dit het gemaak dat ek my seuntjie nog meer waardeur. Julle verbaas elkeen van ons ,julle hanteer alles so mooi!!!! En mens moet huil, dit help altyd, ek admire julle.

    Tabitha is so so mooi...en eks seker sy skitter in die hemel as die heel mooiste sterretjie en engel. Ek ken julle nie maar ek weet julle was die beste ouers vir haar in daardie klein tydjie wat sy by julle was. Sterkte!*

    Chantel, Windhoek, Namibia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adele
    Ek is so bly ek het deur vriende vandag die artikel in die hande gekry. Ek het met soveel trane die artkel gelees en dadelik die blog kom opsoek.

    Ons dogtertjie is 2jr gelede op 28weke gebore, anders as jy was die swangerskap baie gekompliseerd maar die Nicu ervaring net voorspoedig en daar kan ons van God en Sy wonderwerke in haar lewe getuig.

    Jou blog gee soveel perspektief oor die dood, die lewe en kinders. Soos jou laaste inskrywing se Life is not fair. Sterkte vir julle en dankie vir die verskil wat jy en Tabitha in mense se lewens maak en wat julle aanraak.

    Dr's het gese dis nie moontlik vir ons om weer swanger te raak nie so dis daagliks n stryd om te aanvaar en n saak van gebed oor surrogaatskap maar vandag besef ek net hoe genadig God ons was met ons een volmaakte kind.

    ReplyDelete